Keto Almond Pecan Shortbread Cookies
Shortbread, the Scottish cookies par excellence, are nothing more than one parts sugar, two parts butter and three parts flour. To make these guys gluten free and keto we tried a few different routes, but tbh each one made us miss the original even more. Or at least what I remember them to taste like during my university years in Scotland itself! (Paola here ).
And given that we’ve vowed to never give you a version that will actively make you miss the original even more (because that’s just horribly depressing!), we were about to give up on a keto shortbread.
That is until we thought about toasting the almond flour (Mexican wedding cookie-style!). Which simply makes these keto shortbread some of the most complex, yet ridiculously simple, cookies you’ll ever make.
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup crushed pecans
1/4 cup confectioners Swerve
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 tsp butter extract (optional)
1/4 – 1/3 cup dark chocolate (optional) I used
1. Mix almond flour, pecans, Swerve and salt until mixture is uniform.
2. Cut butter into cubes and add in to flour mix with butter extract.
3. Cream in butter with a spatula ie. mush and smear butter bits into the flour. Continue until no chunks of butter remain. It should form into a ball easily.
4. On a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper, form dough into a uniform log with about an inch diameter.
5. Wrap up and refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350F.
7. Remove dough from fridge and unwrap.
8. With dental floss (NOT mint flavoured 😅), slice log into 1/4′ thick rounds and place rounds on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
9. Bake for about 12 minutes, until just set and edges are just starting to brown. If you like it a little darker, a couple more minutes should do it!
10. CAREFULLY transfer to a cooling rack. If you can masterly slide the whole parchment onto the rack without bending the cookies, that works too.
Let cookies cool completely before doing the next step.
12. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate.
13. Dip cookies in chocolate or drizzle over top.
14. Place cookies on cooling rack or parchment to let chocolate set.
Note: I was a little conservative with the chocolate, plus I didn’t warm it fully so it was a little thick when I was eager to dip them. 😄
4 thoughts on “Keto Almond Pecan Shortbread Cookies”
How do you toast the almond flour? I don’t see that step in your recipe.
Looking for the specifics regarding roasting almond flour?
I was wondering the same thing. I ended up just toasting it in a pan on top of the stove at a low-ish setting (3 on my cooktop) stirring constantly. It only took a few minutes this way. The cookies are nice – not shortbread, but nice, and easy. I’m making a second batch now.
I don’t see the step where you toast the almond flour. Did I miss it?