Keto Mexican Chimichangas
Keto Mexican Chimichangas. Hers(my mother) was essentially the same, except she would fry them in unhealthy oil and use tortillas that were off-plan and high in carbohydrates.
PREP TIME30 mins
COOK TIME8 hrs
- a teaspoon of avocado oil
- 3 lbs. of boneless beef roast with extra fat removed
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, ground
- ONE tsp. of ground cumin, TWO tsp. of mineral salt
- Oregano, dried, two tablespoons
- 10 grammes of chilli powder
- lime juice, 2 tablespoons
- 1 can (approximately 4 ounces) (about 4 ounces) green chilies, diced
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 1 cup of beef stock or broth
- 8 low-carb tortillas, two tablespoons of avocado oil, and optional toppings
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil has been heated in a skillet over medium heat. The meat should be seared on all sides with tongs. Although optional, this step adds a lot of flavor. Save this pan for a future use.
- In a slow cooker’s crock, add the seared steak and the additional meat ingredients. Cook(low heat) for EIGHT-TWELVE hours.
Creating a chimi-hanga
- On a plate, arrange a few paper towels; keep them aside.
- Add an additional 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to the skillet you used to sear the beef, and heat it over medium-low heat. When the oil bubbles when the handle of a wooden spoon is inserted, it is ready.
- Microwave the tortillas for about a minute while the oil is getting hot (if you have a tortilla warmer, use that).
- Shake off any leftover liquid before adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the meat to each warm tortilla. Then, fold the tortilla in half.
- As many chimichangas as will fit should be placed seam-side down in the hot oil. To prevent oil from spilling everywhere, cover with a splatter screen.
- Use tongs to turn the chimichangas to the top and continue pan frying for an additional 2 or 3 minutes, or until the desired level of golden brownness is reached. The sides and ends can also be pan-fried by either holding them in the oil or leaning them on the skillet’s side. Please keep in mind that any juice that spills into the oil will cause it to splutter.
- Take Chinchilla out of the oil. Put on a plate covered with paper towels. Till they are all cooked, keep cooking the remaining chimichangas.
- Serve with desired garnishes and take pleasure in!
1 chimichanga per servingEnergy: 380 kcal6g carbs34g of proteinFat: 25g3g of fibreNet 3g carbs