Keto Boston Cream Poke Cake
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour 140g
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flour 168g
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch 14g, optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg optional
- 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp if using unsalted butter
- 1 cup softened salted butter 250g
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp granulated monkfruit erythritol sweetener 220g
- 1 cup light unsweetened coconut milk or vanilla unsweetened almond milk 250ml (you can also use light or heavy cream for a richer cake)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 4 eggs whites & yolks separated
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Boston Cream Filling
- 1 pkg. Simply Delish Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 3/4 cup light unsweetened coconut milk or vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup stevia sweetened chocolate chips 8oz
- 1 cup heavy cream 250ml
- 1 tbsp butter 15g
- Pre-heat oven to 350*F.
- In a bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients including; almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, add your coconut milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In another very large bowl, beat together the butter and sweetener until light and fluffy (~2 min) then add your egg yolks and vanilla extract and beat again until smooth.
- Finally, in another bowl, beat your egg whites until the turn pretty much solid white in color (see photo).
- Add your dry ingredients as well as the cream/vinegar to the beaten butter and sugar mixture. Mix well until no flour is left visible and a thick dough forms.
- Gently stir in the egg whites until no longer visible.
- Press the cake into the bottom of a greased 9x13inch pan and bake for 23-27min or until golden brown around the edges and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cake is fully cooled, poke holes throughout it using the opposite end of a wooden spoon (see photo for reference). Poke all the way to the bottom of the cake.
- You can then make the pudding simply by adding the dry mix to a bowl and beating with the cream and coconut milk until it just starts to thicken (don’t over-beat it). You want it still liquid enough to be able to pour into the holes in the cake.
- Use a spatula to spread the mixture over the top of the cake a few times to fill the holes and form an even layer.
- Refrigerate for 30-40min.
- After refrigeration, you can make your chocolate topping by microwaving the heavy cream in a large glass measuring cup or bowl until hot (~1min- 1min 30s). Add your chocolate chips and butter to the hot cream and leave for 40s before mixing well until everything is melted, silky and the mixture is a dark brown colour.
- Pour the mixture as evenly over the cake as you can, then use a spatula to even it out. Refrigerate the whole cake again for at least 30-45min before slicing and serving. Enjoy your Keto Boston Cream Poke Cake! **Pro tip, once the cake has chilled and set, I actually like serving it at room temperature or heated for just 15-20s in the microwave to take the chill off. It gets so much softer!**
Serving: 1boston cream cake slice | Fiber: 9.1g | Calories: 331kcal | Fat: 30g | Protein: 5.4g | Carbohydrates: 6.3g